Expats in Riga magazine decided to explore Christmas and New Year market spots around Riga. Here what we have come up with!
Selling and buying things at the pop-up markets has become popular among people living in Riga. Despite the fact that usually pop-up markets offer their visitors seasonal products, like Christmas souvenirs or farmers’ food, their tradition goes far beyond it, focusing on a wide choice of designer and artisanal accessories and apparel, bed linen, kitchenware, interior decoration objects and so on.
A time before and during Christmas and New Year holidays usually is especially rich with such events, which are organised in parks, on the squares, at various sport and exhibition venues and offer a lot of different food products and gifts.
Here is a list of pop-up markets, which will take place this year.
1. One of the most popular markets is Rīgas dizaina tirgus (Riga design market), which takes place several times a year. This year there will be two more events, on 15th and 16th of December and on 22nd and 23rd of December. The first one will take place in VEF quarter under the name “Christmas presents market”, while the second one will be held in Zuzeum and will be called “New Year market – Shine and glamour”. More information on the events is available here.
2. Another quite popular open-air pop-up market is organised in Kalnciema quarter, holding the next events on the 24th of November, and on the 1st and 2nd of December. There will be several more pop-up markets during December. More information is available on their Facebook page.
Kanciema market, first of all, is famous for its farmers’ food, which is sold there in a big variety. The entrance is free.
3. A special open-air Christmas pop-up market takes place each year on Esplanāde. This year it will continue from November, 30 till January, 6, daily, from 11:00 till 19:00. It is free for visitors.
4. “Stylish Christmas in Riga” is the name of a pop-up market, which will be run in Skonto hall on 15th and 16th of December. According to information provided by organisers, there are expected more than 100 sellers from Latvia and Lithuania. The entrance is free. More information is available here.
5. “The Old Riga Christmas market” offering a variety of tasty food and artisanal souvenirs will start working on the 1st of December and will be open till 6th of January, 2019, from 10:00 till 20:00. More information is provided here.
6. One more Christmas market will take place in Latvian University botanical garden on 15th of December. More information is available here. The entrance to the terrotory is free, except a botanice garden greenhouse.
7. An annual event “Design for Riga” this year will take place also on 15th of December in Riga railway museum. This market theme is fashion and beauty, The entrance is free. Event information is available here.